I am wondering about what appear to me to be priestly qualities to Abraham. I haven’t read anyone saying this, so I am looking for corroboration.
- Conduit of blessing: “in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed” (Genesis 12.3)
- Makes altars:
- “Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, ”To your offspring I will give this land. So he built there an altar to the LORD, who had appeared to him.” (Genesis 12.7)
- From there he moved to the hill country on the east ofBethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. And there he built an altar to the LORD and called upon the name of the LORD.” (Genesis 12.8)
- 13.4; 13.18
- Serves meat to Yhwh at his tabernacle in a Sabbath setting:
- “4Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, 5while I bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on— since you have come to your servant.” So they said, “Do as you have said.”" (vv.4-5 from Genesis 18.1-8 – note Resting and Refreshing was what God did on the Sabbath, according to Ex 31.17)
- Intercedes before Yhwh for Sodom in front of his tabernacle (Gen 18.22-33).
- Offers Burnt Offerings, and a pretty SIGNIFICANT one at that (Genesis 22).
My suspicion is that Adam and Noah deserve priest studies too.